Collaborative Visual Arts Project
Freiburg < > Johannesburg
Project short description
How to fix the world in five easy steps. DIY Life Hacks between Frei- and Joburg (DE & ZA).
Selected artist-educators in Germany and South Africa teach 5 x 90 minute online workshops with youth (16 years old) in South Africa and Germany, bringing them into live video conversation with each other through image and storytelling.
Through the workshop, school learners invent an absurd life hack and manifest it through a zine that gives instructions. (A zine is a self-made publication distributed by hand.) Collaborating via video call and social
messenger chat, they swap instruction zines for each to print, then enact or demonstrate the instructions in TikTok-style videos.
An online exhibition will document the new relationships created in a map of interactions, a series of short videos, and a book. The workshop and exhibition programme feature a series of online events. A small travelling pop-up exhibition will activate this material in physical spaces. The entire project is amplified by a daily social media
● Thina Dube, National School of the Arts (High School), Johannesburg, ZA
● Lebogang Mogul Mabusela, Johannesburg, ZA
● Mmabatho Grace Mokalapa, Johannesburg, ZA
● Kai Lossgott, Johannesburg, ZA, Munich, DE
● Raphael Spielmann, Freiburg, DE
● Angela Raith, Wentzinger Gymnasium (Grammar School) Freiburg, DE